Officials from Walt Disney World and Sea World presented plans for reopening their Central Florida theme parks to Orange County’s economic recovery task force today at 10 a.m.
Here’s everything that you need to know about the statements of the task force and Sea World and Disney’s plans. All images are screen shots from the live stream.
- Task force acknowledges that virus is still alive in our community and stresses the importance of reopening with care. They have previewed the presentations and look forward to today’s dialogue.
- After a long and painful series of public comments and updates on the healthcare trends that overall look positive to date….
- Sea World Presentation: Marc Swanson – Interim CEO, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, Kyle Miller, President of SeaWorld Orlando, Brad Gilmour, VP of Operations, Discovery Cove
- Open to the public June 11
- Face coverings to be required for employees and guests. Will be provided to those who do not have them.
- Physical Distancing throughout park. Plexiglass, ground markings, etc.
- Temperature screenings before entry.
- Character Meet and Greets and Parades may still happen but at a safe distance.
- Aquatica water park
- Acknowledges that these are adaptive protocols and guidelines.
IF YOU’RE SKIMMING THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO STOP AND READ…
- AND FINALLY: WALT DISNEY WORLD
- MAGIC KINGDOM AND ANIMAL KINGDOM PROPOSED TO OPEN JULY 11TH. EPCOT AND HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS PROPOSED TO OPEN JULY 15TH.
- Attendance reservation system for parks each day.
- Health and Safety Protocols
- Face masks required.
- Significant reductions in capacity in parks and at restaurants and attractions.
- More frequent cleaning protocols on stage and backstage.
- Guest and Cast Temperature Checks.
- Limited-Contact Enhancements in High Touch Areas – Increased mobile food ordering and cashless transactions, temporarily pausing meet and greets and not opening play areas.
- Transportation will exist but be limited in capacity.
- Parades and fireworks will be on hold initially.
- Enhanced Communication to Guests before and during vacations.
- A new social distancing squad of Cast Members will be dedicated to encouraging social distancing in a positive way, similar to what has been implemented in Disney Springs.
- Signage and Messaging Throughout Property.
- And it is worth noting that resorts were not mentioned in the proposal at all. My guess, which is nothing more than an educated one, is that because the proposal is something delivered for approval, they did not want to put that decision in anyone else’s hands. Hotels throughout the country have not been forced to close during this time, and Disney likely wants to keep that decision entirely in their court.
* * * * * *
If the task force approves this reopening plan presented by Disney, it will go to Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings for review. If and when he signs off on the plan, he will send an endorsement letter to Governor Ron DeSantis. I will keep you posted on that progress here.